In this post I show you how you can make Teewurst (literal translation: tea sausage) yourself. It is relatively easy to make and tastes simply amazing.
Traditionally, the Teewurst is cold-smoked. It is very fine and spreadable. It is pretty smiliar to a Mettwurst.
Its special note gets the Teewurst by a juniper rum. Alternatively, you can also use normal rum for this.
Here you can find the complete Teewurst recipe as a video or to read through.
Have fun and good luck making it!
Table of Contents
Making your own Teewurst – What do you need?
Ingredients for your Teewurst
INGREDIENTS PER 1 KG
- 70 % pork belly (700g)
- 20 % lean beef (200g)
- 10 % pork shoulder (100g)
SPICES PER KG OF MEAT
- 19.5 g salt
- 2.5 g Cure #1
- 2 g white pepper
- 1 g mace
- 4 g sweet paprika
- 5g juniper rum* (You can use normal rum or omit it completely)
*Make your own juniper rum; Fill 500 ml rum together with approx. 30 crushed juniper berries in a container. Let this steep for a few weeks. Done.
Equipment for making Teewurst
You need a meat grinder to “grind” the meat. The meat is chopped into small chunks with it.
Spice grinder / mortar
To grind your spices, it is best to use a spice mill. Alternatively, a mortar is also suitable. Or you can use already ground spices. I recommend to grind them yourself.
Sausage filler / attachment for the meat grinder / hand filling funnel
You need this to get your meat mass into the casing. For starters, a filler attachment for your meat grinder or a hand filler funnel will work for this. I use this one.
Natural or smokeable artificial casings
For filling your mass you need natural casings or artificial casings that can be smoked. I use here artificial bags 50/17, smokable.
Food processor / Thermomix or cutter
In your food processor, the ingredients are blended and processed into a mass. This way you can make the tea sausage yourself without a cutter. If you have a Thermomix, you can also use it for this.
You need the smoker to smoke your Teewurst.
Cold smoke generator and smoking flour
The cold smoke generator burns for about 12 hours. This way you do not have to constantly refill the smoking flour.
Making Teewurst – Step-By-Step Instructions
1. Cut your meat and fat into strips. The size varies depending on how big your meat grinder is. The bigger the grinder, the bigger your pieces of meat can be.
2. Put the meat in the freezer for 1-2 hours. This will help later on with the grinding process and the temperature.
3. Grind your spices to a fine powder.
4. Now the meat is grinded. The Teewurst should end up very fine. Therefore, I use the finest perforated disc and grind the meat twice.
6. You can now fill the mass into the casings. You must use smokable artificial casings here. I use traditional “Pfeffersäckchen” 50/17, smokable. Make sure that there is no air in the mass.
7. Shut the bags and tie a knot to close them up.
8. Hang the Teewurst at room temperature and let it ferment for 24 hours. The humidity should be around 80%. You can spray them with water from time to time and hang a damp towel next to them.
9. You can now hang them in the smoker and cold smoke. I did 2 runs here. That means 12 hours of smoke and 12 hours of no smoke each time. The temperature should ideally be between 15 and 20 degrees (59 – 68 F°). If you prefer not to smoke it is now ready to eat.
10. After the second round, the sausage will have a nice color. If you want it to be firmer, you can let it ripen and dry for a few more days.
11. Your Teewurst is ready 😄. Enjoy it. The gray edge is caused by too moist storage. It was not there at the first cut 4 days before. So do not be unsettled.
What is the shelf life of tea sausage?
Thanks to smoking and drying, your tea sausage will keep longer.
To prevent the sausages from drying out or losing their flavor, it’s best to pack them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Generally, I would also recommend consuming them within 7 days.
This should not be a problem because of the delicious taste ;).