In this post I’m going to show you how to make a poultry fleischwurst yourself. It is simple and super fast to make.
It is a delicious change from the traditional Fleischwurst. It’s usually eaten cold on a loaf of bread. You can also use it for Fleischsalat.
I use turkey in this recipe. But you can also use chicken breast. It is up to you.
Here you can find the complete poultry fleischwurst recipe as a video or to read through.
Have fun and good luck making it!
Poultry Fleischwurst – What do you need to make it?
Ingredients for your poultry fleischwurst
Meat (1000 g):
- 60 % turkey breast (600 g)
- 20 % pork backfat (200 g)
- 20 % crushed ice (200 g)
Spices per 1000 g of meat
- 15.5 g salt
- 2.5 g Cure #1
- 3 g Cutter Phosphate (e.g BRIFISOL 414, PhosThis!, Ames Phos)
- 2 g white pepper
- 1 g paprika, sweet
- 0.5 g mace
- 0.5 g coriander
- 0.25 g ginger
The equipment to make poultry fleischwurst
You need a meat grinder to “grind” the meat. The grinder chops the meat into small chunks which then can then be mixed.
Food processor / Thermomix or cutter
In your food processor, the ingredients are blended and processed into a mass. This way you can make the meat sausage yourself without a cutter. If you have a Thermomix, you can also use it for this.
Spice grinder / mortar
To grind your spices, it is best to use a spice grinder. Alternatively, a mortar is also suitable. Or you can use already ground spices. I recommend grinding them yourself.
To fill your sausage you need a smokable artificial casing.
Kitchen string is important so that you can tie the casing well and it won’t burst open during cooking.
You need a smoker to smoke your sausage.
Make poultry fleischwurst – Step-By-Step Instructions
1. Cut the meat and fat into pieces suitable for grinding. You can adjust the size depending on how big your meat grinder is.
2. Let the meat freeze in the freezer for about 1 hour. The freezing makes it easier for you to grind the meat later.
3. Grind the spices to a fine powder.
4. Now grind the meat and the fat twice through the finest perforated disc.
6. Then you can gradually add the crushed ice and blend it into a fine mass. Once everything is homogeneous, you can gradually add the fat. Blend the mixture until the sausage meat is very fine. Make sure that the sausage meat does not get warmer than 12 degrees Celsius (53.6 °F).
7. You can now fill the mass into artificial casings and tie them. Make sure that there is no air trapped in the casing.
8. Put the poultry fleischwurst in the smoker at 50 degrees Celsius (122 °F), without smoke, for about 30 minutes to dry.
9. Then you can increase the temperature to 70 degrees Celsius (158 °F) with smoke and smoke for 1 – 1.5 hours.
10. Then poach the sausage at 70 degrees Celsius (158 °F) for 30 minutes.
11. Ready is your poultry fleischwurst 😄. You can enjoy it warm or let it cool. Enjoy!
How long is the shelf life of the poultry fleischwurst?
The poultry fleischwurst can be stored in the refrigerator for 4 – 5 days when cut. In one piece it can be kept refrigerated for about 14 days.