In this post I’ll show you how to make german Fleischwurst yourself. It is a pretty simple and easy to make sausage.
In Germany you get them almost everywhere. Whether in ringform or as a stick like sausage. It’s usually eaten cold on a loaf of bread or used in meat salads.
The Fleischwurst is a scalded sausage which is hot smoked.
Ever heard about Lyoner? You will find out the difference below.
Here you can find the complete Fleischwurst recipe as a video or to read through.
Have fun and good luck making it! I would be happy if you leave me a comment if you succeeded.
German Fleischwurst – What do you need to make it?
Ingredients for your Fleischwurst
Meat (1000 g):
- 45 % lean pork meat (450g)
- 35 % pork loin fat (350g)
- 20 % crushed ice (200g)
Spices per 1000 g of meat
- 15.5 g salt
- 2.5 g Cure #1
- 3 g cutter aid
- 2 g white pepper
- 1 g paprika, sweet
- 0.5 g mace
- 0.5 g coriander
- 0.25 g ginger
The equipment to make german Fleischwurst
You need a meat grinder to “grind” the meat. The grinder chops the meat into small chunks which then can then be mixed.
Food processor / Thermomix or cutter
In your food processor, the ingredients are blended and processed into a mass. This way you can make the meat sausage yourself without a cutter. If you have a Thermomix, you can also use it for this.
Spice grinder / mortar
To grind your spices, it is best to use a spice grinder. Alternatively, a mortar is also suitable. Or you can use already ground spices. I recommend grinding them yourself.
To fill your sausage you need a smokable artificial casing.
Kitchen string is important so that you can tie the casing well and it won’t burst open during cooking.
You need a smoker to smoke your sausage.
Make german Fleischwurst – Step-By-Step Instructions
1. Cut the meat and fat into pieces suitable for grinding. You can adjust the size depending on how big your meat grinder is. Make sure that you separate the fat and the meat. This will make it easier for you to mix the meat later.
2. Let the meat freeze in the freezer for about 1 hour. The freezing makes it easier for you to grind the meat later.
3. Grind the spices to a fine powder.
4. Now grind the meat and the fat separately two times through the finest perforated disc.
6. Then you can gradually add the crushed ice and blend it into a fine mass. Once everything is homogeneous, you can gradually add the fat. Blend the mixture until the sausage meat is fine. Make sure that the sausage meat does not get warmer than 12 degrees (53.6 °F).
7. You can now fill the mass into artificial casings and tie them. Make sure that there is no air trapped in the casing.
8. Put the sausage in the smoker at 50 degrees (122 °F), without smoke, for about 30 minutes to dry.
9. Then you can increase the temperature to 70 degrees (158 °F) with smoke and smoke for 1 – 1.5 hours.
10. Then poach the sausage at 70 degrees (158 °F) for 30 minutes.
11. Ready is your Fleischwurst😄. You can enjoy it warm or let it cool. Enjoy!
How long is the shelf life of the Fleischwurst?
The sausage can be stored in the refrigerator for 4 – 5 days when cut. In one piece it can be kept refrigerated for about 14 days.
What is the difference between Fleischwurst and Lyoner?
Basically, Lyoner is the same as Fleischwurst. Namely, it is a scalded sausage without any filling. Made from pork with pork back fat.
But there are regional differences in the name and also the spices.
Depending on where you are, it may be that something else is understood under it.