In this article I show you how to make pork rillette yourself. It is a classic spread of the French cuisine.
Rillette is traditionally made from pork, goose or duck. But you can also make it with fish. With a few ingredients you can make something super tasty.
You can eat your rillette on tasty white bread like a baguette. No matter if it is for an apéritif, picnic or for dinner, the rillette always makes a good impression.
Ok now let’s start with the pork rillette recipe. You can watch the instructions via video or read them below. The preparation takes about 3 hours.
Have fun making it and good luck!
Pork Rillette – What do you need to make it?
Ingredients for your pork rillette
Meat (1000 g):
- 60 % pork belly (600 g)
- 40 % pork shoulder (400 g)
Also, an additional 15 % water (150 g)
Spices per 1000 g of meat:
The equipment to make pork rillette
Jars for preserving
You need to put the final rillette in a container or jar to preserve it.
To cook your meat in the oven, you need a baking dish that is suitable for oven baking.
Make pork rillette – Step-By-Step Instructions
1. Cut the pork shoulder & belly into cubes (around 1.5 cm x 1.5 cm). Make sure that they are about the same size.
2. Half of the meat is now placed in an oven dish. Then spread the thyme, bay leaves and spices over the meat.
3. Now put the rest of the meat into the mold and pour the water over it.
4. Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and place it in the oven at 135 °C (275 °F) for at least 2.5 hours.
5. Take the dish out of the oven 3-4 times or every 30-45 minutes and mix it. Make sure that the meat is evenly distributed and check for doneness.
6. Once the meat is cooked, you can pull it apart with a fork or mash it with a spatula or use a food processor.
Tip: I recommend doing this by hand instead of the food processor. It will yield a better texture.
7. Separate the meat from the juices because you do not need all of it later.
8. Press the meat and so that the mixture becomes nice and creamy. If you need, also pull apart bigger chunks with a fork.
9. Now add some discarded juice, the salt, pepper and lemon to the mixture.
Depending on your taste, you can add more seasoning to the mixture. If the mixture is still too firm, just add some more of the juices.
10. You can now fill your finished mixture into glasses. Make sure that there are no air bubbles in it.
11. Fill the remaining fat juice on top of the meat mixture. This way the rillette is sealed and has a longer shelf life
12. Your delicious rillette is ready. Let it cool down and enjoy!
How long is the shelf life of the pork rillette?
If your rillette is sealed airtight, it can be stored for about 4 weeks. As always, when you open it: see – smell – taste!
When opened, the rillette should be stored in the refrigerator. It will last for approx. 1 week. But I can promise you, because it is super delicious, it will not survive that long ????.