In this post I’ll show you how you can easily make your own Pizza Leberkäse at home.
The recipe is a twist on my traditional Leberkäse recipe.
Here you will find the complete list of ingredients and materials, as well as step-by-step instructions.
There are no limits to your creativity when making pizza meatloaf. What you use as an ingredient is completely up to you.
If you want to rely on a recipe, you can also follow mine 1:1.
But now enough talking…
You can watch the complete Pizzaleberkäse recipe either as a video or read through. I wish you a lot of fun and good luck!
Making your own Pizzaleberkäse – What do you need?
Ingredients for 1 Kg basic mass
- 50 % pork neck (500 g)
- 20 % pork back fat (200 g)
- 15 % lean beef (150 g)
- 15 % crushed ice (150 g)
Spices per Kg of ground meat
- 15.5 g salt
- 2.5 g Cure #1
- 3 g onion powder
- 2 g white pepper
- 1 g paprika powder, sweet
- 0,75 g mace
- 0,25 g cardamom
- 0,25 g ginger powder
- 3 g Cutter Phosphate (e.g BRIFISOL 414, PhosThis!, Ames Phos)
Ingredients per kg base mass
Here you can get creative. Generally, I recommend so, around the 30% again extra to use as an insert.
In my recipe these are:
- 75 g salami
- 75 g Gouda
- 75 g pickled peppers
- 75 g canned mushrooms or the tasty version 150 g fresh mushrooms fried with 25 g onion (I explain below how this works)
Equipment for making Leberkäse
You need a meat grinder to “grind” the meat. The meat is chopped into small chunks with it.
Food processor / Thermomix
In a food processor, the minced meat and ingredients are mixed into a very fine mass. If you have a Thermomix, you can also use it for this process.
Pâté dish / glasses / aluminium dish / other dishes
It is up to you which dish you use to make the Pizzaleberkase. You can achieve the same result with any shape.
Making Pizzaleberkäse – Step-By-Step Instructions
1. Cut the meat into strips or cubes. The size varies depending on how big your meat grinder is. The bigger the grinder, the bigger your pieces of meat can be.
2. Now put the meat in the freezer for 1-2 hours to freeze.
Tip: Put the parts of your meat grinder also in the freezer. This will keep the meat cooler later.
3. Grind the spices to a fine powder. This ensures that everything mixes well later on
4.Cut the inserts (cheese, salami, etc.) into small strips / cubes and mix them so that they are evenly distributed later.
5. Now it’s time to grind the meat. Grind the meat twice through the finest perforated disc (2mm).
6. Add the spices and the cutter phosphates to the meat and mix with a hand mixer. Now blend the ingredients until they combine nicely and reach a mushy consistency (5 min +).
Add the ice gradually during the step. This will keep the mixture cool. The mass should not rise above 12 degrees Celsius (53,6 °F). To achieve this, measure the temperature from time to time.
7. Now mix the chopped ingredients with the finished meat mixture. Make sure that everything is evenly distributed and has a good binding.
8. Grease your form and “throw” the mass into it. I do not mean literally throwing but make sure to really punch the mass into the mold so that there are no trapped air bubbles.
The air bubbles won’t affect the taste but the look of the slices later on.
9. Cut the meat loaf on the surface in a cross pattern. This gives it a nice shape when baking.
10. Now it is time to bake your Leberkase.
First step is to bake it in a 180 °C (356 °F) preheated oven for 15 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 120 °C (248 °F) and finish baking.
The baking time varies depending on the size of your baking dish (rule of thumb 1 hour / kg).
You can also measure the core temperature and bake it until it reaches a core temperature of 69 – 72 ° C (150 – 162 F).
Get the Leberkäse out of the oven and let it cool down for 10 minutes. Then remove from the mold and serve.
11. Your Pizzaleberkäse is ready. Enjoy it warm 😊. You can also eat it cold and store it in the freezer.
Fresh mushrooms instead of canned ones – It is worth it
Since I personally don’t like canned mushrooms, but still like to have some mushrooms in my pizza meatloaf I do it as follows:
1. Cut the mushrooms into fine slices
2. Put the mushrooms in a pan and put it on the stove on high heat.
3. Fry the mushrooms until they are really crispy. Add some salt after a few minutes. This will help get even more moisture out of the mushrooms.
4. Finally, add a dash of olive oil and the onions. Let them fry over on the turned off stove due to the residual heat. Allow to cool and you’re done.