In this post I show you how you can make poultry cold cuts (bologna) yourself. With a moderate effort you achieve a super tasty result.
You can make the poultry cold cuts with 100% poultry fat, vegetable oil or low fat. I’ve written out all three options for you below.
I use vegetable oil in this recipe. The vegetable oil makes the cold cuts very soft. I also boil the cold cuts down in jars.
The poultry cold cuts are super easy and quick to make. It tastes divine on a fresh loaf of bread or a freshly baked roll. Perfect for poultry lovers.
But enough talk now…
Here you can find the complete poultry recipe as a video or to read through.
Have fun and good luck making it!
Poultry cold cuts – What do you need to make it?
Ingredients for 1 Kg
- 600g poultry meat (e.g. chicken breast, turkey breast, etc.)
- 200 g frozen poultry broth
Depending on which variation you want to make now still:
- Low fat: 200 g inulin
- Vegetable oil: 200 g vegetable oil
- 100% poultry: 200 g poultry fat (e.g. turkey fat or chicken fat/skin)
Spices per Kg of meat
- 17.5 g salt
- 2.5 g cure #1
- 3 g Cutter Phosphate (e.g BRIFISOL 414, PhosThis!, Ames Phos)
- 2 g white pepper
- 1 g onion powder
- 0.5 g coriander
- 0.5 g ginger powder
- 0.5 g garlic powder
- 0.5 g mace
The equipment to make Poultry cold cuts
You need a meat grinder to “grind” the meat. The meat is chopped into small chunks with it.
Spice grinder / mortar
To grind your spices, it is best to use a spice mill. Alternatively, a mortar is also suitable. Or you can use already ground spices. I recommend grinding them yourself.
Natural casings / jars / artificial casings
You can fill the poultry sausage into natural or artificial casings.
If you want to prepare the poultry sausage without casings, you can use jars and boil down the mixture.
Food processor / Thermomix or cutter
In your food processor, the ingredients are blended and processed into a mass. This way you can make the meat sausage yourself without a cutter. If you have a Thermomix, you can also use it for this.
Make Poultry cold cuts – Step-By-Step Instructions
1. Cut the poultry meat into pieces suitable for mincing. You can adjust the size depending on how big your mincer is.
2. Let the meat freeze for about 1 hour in the freezer. The freezing will make it easier for you to grind the meat later.
3. Grind the spices finely without the cutter phosphate.
4. Now grind the meat. Depending on how coarse you want your final sausage meat, you can use different perforated discs. I use the finest perforated disc (3 mm).
5. Put the spices, the grinded meat in a food processor and blend the mixture briefly.
6. Add the cutter phosphate.
7. Mix the mass to a firm sausage meat. Gradually add the frozen poultry stock.
8. Once you have a creamy consistency, you can gradually add the oil. Make sure that the mixture does not get warmer than 12 °C (53,6 °F).
9. Let the mixture mix until it is a homogenous mass. Do not let it get above 12 °C (53,6 °F). Otherwise, it will break.
10. you can fill the mass into jars or casings. It is up to you which one you use. Make sure that the inside of the jars is clean and that there is enough space. The mixture will rise a bit during the cooking process.
11. Boil the poultry cuts at 100 °C (212 °F) for about 2 hours. Allow the jars to cool slowly. If you use casings, the following rule applies: scald at 80 °C (176 °F) for one minute per millimeter of caliber.
12. Your poultry cold cuts are ready 😄. Enjoy it.
How long is the shelf life of the poultry cold cuts?
The poultry cold cuts can be kept in the refrigerator for about 4 – 5 days. In one piece it can be kept refrigerated for about 14 days. Cooked in jars, it can be kept for several months. As always: see – smell – taste!