A barbecue is coming up and you want to score with homemade sausages? Then I have the right thing for you today! I’ll show you how you can, with little effort, quickly make your own Franconian bratwurst itself.
Compared to other bratwurst recipes, it has a higher proportion of marjoram and is filled in pork ribbons. Further down I have explained to you what pork ribbons are. Also, the Franconian bratwurst is not twisted off.
If you’re interested in more great bratwurst recipes, my recipe book “24 Bratwurst Recipes For A Perfect Barbecue Experience” is for you!
I also answered some general questions about making bratwurst in my post Making Bratwurst Yourself. Have a look there.
But now enough talking…
Here you will find the complete Franconian Bratwurst recipe as a video or to read through.
Have fun and good luck making it!
Franconian Bratwurst – What do you need to make it?
Ingredients for 1 Kg
- 60 % pork belly (600g)
- 40% pork shoulder (400g)
Spices per Kg of meat
The equipment to make Franconian Bratwurst
You need a meat grinder to “grind” the meat. The meat is chopped into small chunks with it.
Spice grinder / mortar
To grind your spices, it is best to use a spice mill. Alternatively, a mortar is also suitable. Or you can use already ground spices. I recommend grinding them yourself.
Natural casings / jars
The Franconian Bratwurst is stuffed into natural casings. If you want to make Franconian bratwurst without casings, you can use jars and cook it.
Make Franconian Bratwurst – Step-By-Step Instructions
1. Cut the meat into pieces suitable for the grinder. You can vary the size depending on how big your meat grinder is.
2. Put the pieces of meat in the freezer for 1-2 hours to freeze. This will help you later with the grinding and ensure that the mixture does not get too warm.
3. Grind the spices without the marjoram to a fine powder.
4. Now you can grind the meat. Depending on how coarse or fine you want your sausage, you can use different perforated discs. Honestly, this is a complete matter of taste. I use the middle perforated disc (5mm).
5. Add the spices and the marjoram to the mixture and mix well for 3 – 5 minutes. The sausage meat should have a good binding.
7. Fill the sausage meat into the casing. Important: Do not fill the casing too much, otherwise it will burst later during frying.
8. Now press your bratwurst into shape. You can decide for yourself how big your bratwurst should be. To do this, press the sausage to the desired length with two fingers on each hand and cut it apart.
9.Your Franconian Bratwurst is ready😄. Enjoy it.
How long is the shelf life of the Franconian Bratwurst?
The Franconian Bratwurst can be kept raw in the refrigerator for about 1-2 days.
Alternatively, you can freeze it raw then it will keep for up to 6 months and will not lose any flavor.
What are pork ribbon?
Pork ribbon is a natural intestine. Its special feature is that it consists of a layer of muscle and a thin outer layer of fat from the small intestine.