Today I’m going to show you how to make a fish sausage yourself. It’s easy and super quick to make.
The grilling season has started and the fish sausage is a great change from the typical pork sausage and is perfect for a barbecue. It is suitable for beginners and fish lovers.
Which fish you use is up to you. The important thing is that it tastes good. What you should pay attention to, however, is that you take a firm fish meat, because the sausage is already softer by design than a typical bratwurst.
If you’re interested in more great bratwurst recipes, my recipe book “24 Bratwurst Recipes For A Perfect Barbecue Experience” is for you!
I also answered some general questions about making bratwurst in my post Making Bratwurst Yourself. Have a look there.
But now enough talking…
Here you will find the complete fish sausage recipe as a video or to read through.
Have fun and good luck making it!
Fish sausage – What do you need to make it?
Ingredients for 1 Kg
- 60 % fish of your choice (600g)
- 40 % frozen cream (400g)
Spices per Kg of meat
- 18 g salt
- 2,5 g black pepper
- 1, 5 g fennel seeds
- 10 g dill
- 10 g parsley
- 10 g chives
The equipment to make fish sausage
You need a meat grinder to “grind” the meat. The meat is chopped into small chunks with it.
Spice grinder / mortar
To grind your spices, it is best to use a spice mill. Alternatively, a mortar is also suitable. Or you can use already ground spices. I recommend grinding them yourself.
Food processor / Thermomix
In a food processor, the ingredients are blended and processed into a mass. This way you can make your own fish sausage without a cutter. If you have a thermomixer, you can also use it for this.
Sausage filler / attachment for the meat grinder / hand filling funnel
You need this to get your meat mass into the casing. For starters, you can also use a filling attachment for your meat grinder or a hand filling funnel.
Natural casings / jars
The fish sausage is stuffed into natural casings. I recommend you to use pork casing caliber 22/24.
If you want to make fish sausage without casings, you can use jars and boil down the mixture.
Make fish sausage – Step-By-Step Instructions
1. Chop the parsley and dill.
2. Put the spices together with the fish in a food processor. Cut the fish into small pieces beforehand.
3. Start the food processor.
4. Add the frozen cream and mix well.
5. Add the herbs and mix well. The mixture should achieve a nice binding.
6. Fill the sausage meat into the intestine. Important: Don’t fill the intestine too much, otherwise it will burst later during roasting. I use pork casings caliber 22/24, which you take, is up to you.
7. Now is turned off. How big your sausage should be, you can decide. To do this, press the sausage to the desired length with two fingers on each hand and rotate it forward a few times. Then leave out one sausage length and repeat the process.
8. Optionally you can cook the fish sausage at 75 °C (167 °F) for approx. 25 minutes. I recommend it. This will make the sausage firmer.
9. Your fish sausage is ready😄. Enjoy it.
How long is the shelf life of the fish sausage?
The fish sausage can be kept raw in the refrigerator for about 1-2 days.
If you scald it directly after production at 75 degrees Celsius (167°F) for 25 minutes, it can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about a week.
Alternatively, you can freeze it raw or scalded, then it will keep for up to 6 months and will not lose any flavor.