Today I’ll show you how to make a super fine bratwurst yourself. It’s simple and super quick to make. So you want to score at a barbecue with homemade bratwurst? Then this type of bratwurst is just the right recipe for you!
If you’re interested in more great bratwurst recipes, my recipe book “24 Bratwurst Recipes For A Perfect Barbecue Experience” is for you!
I also answered some general questions about making bratwurst in my post Making Bratwurst Yourself. Have a look there.
But now enough talking…
Here you will find the complete fine Bratwurst recipe as a video or to read through.
Have fun and good luck making it!
Ultrafine Bratwurst – What do you need to make it?
Ingredients for 1 Kg
- 40 % pork shoulder (400g)
- 20 % pork back fat (200g)
- 20 % Pork belly (200g)
- 20 % bulk (ice water) (200g)
Spices per Kg of meat
- 18 g salt
- 3 g Cutter Phosphate (e.g BRIFISOL 414, PhosThis!, Ames Pho
- 2.5 g black pepper
- 1 g mace
- 0.75 g ginger powder
- 0.5 g allspice
- 0.5 g lemon zest
- 0.25 g cardamom
The equipment to make fine Bratwurst
You need a meat grinder to “grind” the meat. The meat is chopped into small chunks with it.
Spice grinder / mortar
To grind your spices, it is best to use a spice mill. Alternatively, a mortar is also suitable. Or you can use already ground spices. I recommend grinding them yourself.
Food processor / Thermomix
In a food processor, the minced meat and ingredients are mixed into a very fine mass. If you have a Thermomix, you can also use it for this process.
Natural casings / jars
The fine Bratwurst is stuffed into natural casings. I recommend you to use pork casing caliber 28/30.
If you want to make fine bratwurst without casings, you can use jars and boil down the mixture.
Make fine Bratwurst – Step-By-Step Instructions
1. Cut the meat into pieces suitable for the grinder. You can vary the size depending on how big your meat grinder is. My recommendation: separate the meat and the fat.
2. Put the pieces of meat in the freezer for 1-2 hours to freeze. This will help you later with the grinding and ensure that the mixture does not get too warm.
3. Grind the spices to a fine powder, except for the Cutter Phosphate.
4. Now you can grind the meat and fat separately. Depending on how coarse or fine you want your sausage, you can use different perforated discs. Honestly, this is a complete matter of taste. I use the fine perforated disc (3 mm) for the fine sausage.
5. Put the minced meat into a food processor.
6. Then you can add the spices and cutter phosphate.
7. Add the ice water little by little.
8. As soon as the consistency is mushy, you can add the fat. Make sure that the mixture does not get warmer than 12 degrees Celsius (153,6°F).
10. Fill the sausage meat into the casing. Important: Do not fill the casing too much, otherwise it will burst later during frying.
11. Now turn off the heat. You can decide for yourself how big your sausage should be. To do this, press the sausage to the desired length with two fingers on each hand and rotate it forward a few times. Then leave out one sausage length and repeat the process.
12. Optionally you can cook your fine sausage at 70 °C (158°F) for approx. 30 minutes
13. Your fine Bratwurst is ready😄. Enjoy it.
How long is the shelf life of the fine Bratwurst?
The fine Bratwurst can be kept raw in the refrigerator for about 1-2 days.
If you scald it directly after production at 75 degrees Celsius (158°F) for 30 minutes, it can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about a week.
Alternatively, you can freeze it raw or scalded, then it will keep for up to 6 months and will not lose any flavor.