In this post I show you how you can make an apple-onion liverwurst yourself. With little effort you achieve a super tasty result.
The apple-onion liverwurst is a perfect match for good bread. Add some pickles as well and you will be astonished how good it tastes together.
I fill my apple-onion liverwurst in beef casings. But you can also use jars or artificial casings. Depending on what you prefer.
Here you can find the complete apple-onion liverwurst recipe as a video or to read through.
Have fun and good luck making it!
Apple-onion liverwurst – What do you need to make it?
Ingredients for 1 Kg
- 70 % fatty pork belly (700 g) approx. 50% fat and 50% meat
- 30 % pork liver (300 g)
Spices per Kg of meat
- 17.5 g Salt
- 2,5 g Cure #1
- 3 g black pepper
- 2 g ginger powder
- 2 g nutmeg
- 0,5 g cardamom
- 100 g apple
- 150 g onion
The equipment to make apple-onion liverwurst
You need a meat grinder to “grind” the meat. The meat is chopped into small chunks with it.
Food processor / Thermomix
In a food processor, the minced meat and ingredients are mixed into a very fine mass. If you have a Thermomix, you can also use it for this process.
Natural casings / jars
You can fill the apple-onion sausage into 45 caliber beef casings or into jars.
Make apple-onion liverwurst – Step-By-Step Instructions
1. Cut the meat and fat into pieces. The size varies depending on how big your meat grinder is. The bigger the grinder, the bigger your pieces of meat can be.
2. Place the meat pieces in a sealable plastic bag or vacuum seal them.
Note: If you vacuum seal/put the meat pieces in a plastic bag, you won’t lose any liquid into the water and you won’t need any cooking liquid for the sausage afterwards because all the liquid will stay in the vacuum bag with the fat and liquid that comes out. (If you want to cook your meat without plastic, I explain how it works and what to look for at the end below).
3. Now place the bags in the tempered water or in the sous vide cooker and cook the meat and fat at 76 degrees (169°F) for 60 minutes.
How do I cook the meat without the sous vide stick and pouches?
No problem. You have to weigh the meat once before cooking. Then, after cooking, weigh the meat again and note how much liquid the meat has lost. You add this missing liquid later. You can use the broth in which you cooked your meat.
4. Cut the liver into strips.
5. Cut the onions into small pieces and let them stew slowly for up to 10 minutes until translucent.
6. Once the meat pieces are cooked, you can separate the juice and the meat.
7. Put the apple through the grinder. I use the finest perforated disc.
8. Now grind the liver and onions and the meat.
9. Add the spices and liquid to the mixture and mix.
10. If you want a coarse liver wurst then your liverwurst mixture is ready. If you want it finer, you can still put it in a food processor and blend it fine.
11. You can now fill it into jars or casings. Make sure the mixture is tight and without air holes in the jars.
12. Now you just have to poach the apple-onion liverwurst. If you use casings then 80 °C (176°F) for about 45 minutes (depending on casing diameter). If you use jars, it takes 2 hours at 100 °C (212°F).
13. Your apple-onion liverwurst is ready 😄. Enjoy it.
How long is the shelf life of the apple-onion liverwurst?
The apple-onion liverwurst can be stored in a jar or can in theory indefinitely.
Store them best in a cool and dark place. When opening, look, smell and taste! If you use a casing, you should store the liverwurst after scalding in the refrigerator and consume within max. 10 days.