In this post I show you how you can make a roast beef yourself. With relatively little effort, you achieve a super tasty result.
I use a short “dry cure” for my version. In quotes because it’s not cured but rather pre-salted. So you should allow a little bit of lead time because before you cook it, the meat is salted and stored in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
You can eat the roast beef directly warm or like me cold and thinly sliced as a sandwich.
Here you will find the complete roastbeef recipe as a video or to read through.
Have fun and good luck making it.
Making your own Roastbeef – What do you need?
Ingredients for your Roastbeef
Ingredients per 1 kg
- 1 kg ribeye roast for example
Spices per KG
Equipment for making Roastbeef
You need the meat thermometer to see what the core temperature of your meat is.
Making Roastbeef – Step-By-Step Instructions
1. Clean up the piece of meat. This means removing all excess sinew and fat.
3. Put the meat on a wire rack.
4. Put the meat in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Make sure that you also have something under the wire rack. The meat will lose some liquid.
5. After 24 hours you can take the meat out of the refrigerator. As you can see, it has changed both color and texture. Now you can rub your meat with mustard, if desired, and then pepper it. Be careful with the pepper. Unlike salt, you can really use too much pepper in this step.
6. Put the piece of meat in the oven at 75 – 80 °C. The goal is a core temperature of 55 °C. Depending on the oven, this can be faster or slower (approx. 2 – 3 hours as a rough guide). It is best to use a meat thermometer here.
7. After the core temperature is reached, remove the meat from the oven and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
8. Now the roast beef itself is ready. Due to the inverted cooking process, however, we are now missing some roast aromas. You can achieve this either by searing briefly and hot in the pan or by grilling briefly and very hot in the oven.
9. Oven method: Set the grill and temperature to full power and place the roast beef underneath. Make sure that you also turn the meat, so that roast aromas are created on both sides.
Pan: Preheat the pan to maximum. Add some neutral oil and sear your roast beef briefly on both sides.
Important: Every second too long will result in a “dry” gray edge. So you really need to be very sensitive here. As you can see, I had it in the oven a bit too long for my taste. Nevertheless, it was delicious.
11. Your roastbeef is ready 😄. Enjoy it.
What is the shelf life of the Roastbeef?
The roastbeef can be kept in the refrigerator for about 2 – 3 days.