In this post, I’ll show you how to make a Frankfurter Rindswurst yourself. It is easy to make and a delicious change from a pork sausage.
The beef sausage in this article (a specialty version called Frankfurter Rindswurst) tastes great warm with a fresh roll or fried / grilled with a good potato salad.
It is important that you have enough fat in the sausage. Otherwise, your beef sausage will quickly become dry.
Here you can find the complete beef sausage recipe as a video or to read through.
Have fun and good luck making it! I would be happy if you leave me a comment if you succeeded.
Making your own beef sausage– What do you need?
Ingredients per 1 kg
- 80 % fat beef (800 g), it should be at least 35 % fat
- 20% crushed ice (200g)
Spices per 1 kg
Equipment for making beef sausage
You will need the meat grinder, also called a mincer, to “grind” the meat, meaning the meat is finely ground.
Cutter / powerful food processor
The sausage meat of the beef sausage is very fine. To produce this consistency, you need a cutter or a powerful food processor.
Sausage filler / attachment for the meat grinder / hand filling funnel
You need this to get your meat mass into the casing. For starters, you can use a filler attachment for your meat grinder or a hand filler funnel. I use this one.
For filling your mass you need natural casings. I use 32/34 caliber pork casings.
You need the smoker to smoke your beef sausage.
Frankfurter Rindswurst – Step-By-Step Instructions
1. Cut the meat into pieces suitable for mincing. You can adjust the size depending on how big your meat grinder is.
2. Let the meat freeze in the freezer for about 1 hour. The freezing makes it easier for you to grind the meat later.
3. now the meat is minced. I use the finest perforated disc (3 mm) and let the mass pass through twice.
4. Put the sausage meat into a food processor or a cutter and let it chop and mix very fine.
5. After 30 seconds, you can add the spices and the cutter phosphates.
6. Let it mix on high speed and gradually add the crushed ice so that the mixture does not get too warm. Measure the temperature regularly. It should not exceed 12 degrees Celsius (53,6 °F).
7. Then fill the meat mixture into casings. Make sure that as little air as possible is trapped.
8. Now it is time to twist off your sausages. You can decide for yourself how big you want your Frankfurter Rindswurst should be.
9. Hang your beef sausage on a wooden pole and let it dry for 30 – 40 minutes at 50 °C (122 °F) in the smoker without smoke.
10. When your beef sausage is dry, you can hot smoke it at 70 °C (158 °F) for 90 minutes. The duration depends on your personal preferences. Depending on how much smoke and what color you want.
11. After smoking, the beef sausages must be scalded at 70 °C (158 °F) for about 20 minutes.
12. Your Frankfurter Rindswurst is ready😄. Enjoy it.
What is the shelf life of Frankfurter Rindswurst?
If you vacuum the beef sausage, it should keep refrigerated for about 3 weeks. If you store them in the refrigerator without vacuum about 1 – 1.5 weeks.