A barbecue is coming up and you want to score with homemade Bratwurst? Then I have the right thing for you today! I’ll show you how you can quickly make your own coarse bratwurst with little effort. It is a classic.
If you’re interested in more great bratwurst recipes, my recipe book “24 Bratwurst Recipes For A Perfect Barbecue Experience” is for you!
I also answered some general questions about making bratwurst in my post Making Bratwurst Yourself. Have a look there.
But now enough talking…
Here you will find the complete coarse Bratwurst recipe as a video or to read through.
Have fun and good luck making it!
Coarse Bratwurst – What do you need to make it?
Ingredients for 1 Kg
- 60 % pork belly (600g)
- 40% pork shoulder (400g)
Spices per Kg of meat
- 18 g salt
- 2,5 g black pepper
- 1 g mace
- 0.75 g ginger powder
- 0.5 g allspice
- 0.5 g lemon zest
- 0.25 g cardamom
The equipment to make coarse Bratwurst
You need a meat grinder to “grind” the meat. The meat is chopped into small chunks with it.
Spice grinder / mortar
To grind your spices, it is best to use a spice mill. Alternatively, a mortar is also suitable. Or you can use already ground spices. I recommend grinding them yourself.
Natural casings / jars
The coarse Bratwurst is stuffed into natural casings. I recommend you to use pork casing caliber 28/30.
If you want to make coarse bratwurst without casings, you can use jars and boil down the mixture.
Make coarse Bratwurst – Step-By-Step Instructions
1. Cut the meat into pieces suitable for the grinder. You can vary the size depending on how big your meat grinder is.
2. Put the pieces of meat in the freezer for 1-2 hours to freeze. This will help you later with the grinding and ensure that the mixture does not get too warm.
3. Grind the spices to a fine powder.
4. Now you can grind the meat. Depending on how coarse or fine you want your sausage, you can use different perforated discs. Honestly, this is a complete matter of taste. I use the middle perforated disc (5mm).
7. Fill the sausage meat into the casing. Important: Do not fill the casing too much, otherwise it will burst later during frying.
8. Now turn off the heat. You can decide for yourself how big your sausage should be. To do this, press the sausage to the desired length with two fingers on each hand and rotate it forward a few times. Then leave out one sausage length and repeat the process.
9. Your coarse Bratwurst is ready😄. Enjoy it.
How long is the shelf life of the coarse Bratwurst?
The coarse Bratwurst can be kept raw in the refrigerator for about 1-2 days.
If you scald it directly after production at 75 degrees Celsius (167°F) for 25 minutes, it can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about a week.
Alternatively, you can freeze it raw or scalded, then it will keep for up to 6 months and will not lose any flavor.